Hopefully you're feeling refreshed from the holiday break and ready to take on 2017 with renewed gusto.
I've read several people's 2016 recap posts/videos across the blogosphere and YouTube (I especially enjoyed reading that of Berry Dakara and Kacheetee, and watching a 2016 recap video on the JamieandNikki YouTube channel) and decided to do one similar. For the sake of organization, I will group mine into "themed buckets" with 2017 action items for each bucket following afterwards.
I ventured into a bit of travel this year, mostly work-related and within Nigeria -- see locations below.
- Borno: wetin Boko Haram fit do me?
- Sokoto: their Kilishi is indeed the best I've had to date
- Jos: FUN-related wedding matters with good friends and cool, breezy weather to match
- Ghana: a very special birthday trip -- Labadi Beach, the Artists Alliance Gallery, and Republic Bar and Grill were definite fave spots of the trip :)
- Travel to at least 3 additional states within Nigeria
- Travel to at least 2 countries outside of Nigeria
Financial management is an important skill to acquire and practice in one's personal life. While I can't brag to be the "best at this, I do pat myself on the back for taking steps towards improvement in this area in 2016. They include:
- Documenting and reviewing my expenses on a monthly basis: this helped me monitor my spending habits, identify major cost drivers
- Purchasing / studying "The Smart Money Woman" by Arese Ugwu. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and picked out some critical money management tips that I've already started implementing
- Create and stick to a strict monthly budget
- Document my weekly expenses and review monthly
- Get disciplined with tithing (*covers face with hands*)
To be straight with you, this was not strong in 2016. I dealt with doubt, disillusionment, and distance in my relationship with God and I was simply not disciplined enough to get back on track.
2017 Action Items:
- Reignite my awe and reverence for the beauty and magnificence of God and how He operates in my life (His grace, His mercy, and His blend of justice)
- Keep a daily gratitude journal: write 5 things I'm grateful for each day at night before bed
- Give more: empathy, forgiveness, and energy to name a few things
BLOG / POSTS
This was definitely not strong either. I only had eight posts published on the blog in 2016 -- that doesn't even average out to one per month! I can throw several excuses to "justify" this (e.g. too busy with work, frequent writer's block episodes, yada yada yada). Simple truth is I did not make the blog and writing for it a priority in 2016 and danced a little too much with procrastination.
2017 Action Items:
- Upload a post at least once a week: that will average out to at least 48 posts in 2017 (this week there will be two posts uploaded)
- Diversify the blog with posts on motivation, money, and career (themes especially relevant for young, working class women)...and of course a good ol' dose of self-deprecating personal story posts for your reading pleasure :)
- Revive the "Get Crazy" Interview Series (a popular favorite of mine and many of you, from feedback received...if you're not familiar with it, you can read previous interviews with Steve Harris, Kola Olaosebikan, Moyo Mamora, and Kimberly Jones)
- Transfer from Blogger to WordPress (loooong overdue)
- *Special Event coming soon -- will provide more details in upcoming weeks
Read a couple of worthy books / poetry in 2016 that I highly recommend. They include:
- "The Rosie Project" by Australian novelist Graeme Simsion (brilliant recommendation from one of my best friend's)
- "Milk and Honey" by Indian poet Rupi Kaur (great recommendation from my work supervisor)
- "The Smart Money Woman" by Nigerian author Arese Ugwu
- Several poetry pieces by Nayyirah Waheed (US-based writer)
- Actively and intentionally read MORE
There we have it folks, my 2016 at a retrospective glance. I'm definitely looking forward to what's in store ahead, starting with the next post I'll be uploading in a few days -- make sure to stay tuned.
Cheers to 2017 being a year filled with love, laughter, learning, and fulfilment for us all.
What were some of your highlights and misses of 2016? What's one major item on your action items list for 2017?